Saturday, January 13, 2007

What with the ice storm and all…thankfully the power is still on here….i have a little time on my hands. So here’s some great quotes about dogs…..one of my “favorite things” ….you’d know this if you read my profile. But, of course, everyone lies in their profiles. (The geni in MySpace is 26 years young, 5’9”, and an interior designer. Ya pays your money and takes your chances…..ha.) Actually, I do lie a lot…..about my age and certain interests that are no one’s business……especially strangers or relatives……jes sayin’.

Truthfully, however, this is MY dog. Not a pic I copied from Google Images…..although there were some rather interesting ones there…..


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



And here are the quotes:
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. -Mark Twain

You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!' - Dave Barry

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your
pocket and then give him only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
-Ann Landers

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. -Andy Rooney

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made. -M. Acklam

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate. -Sigmund Freud

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult. -Rita Rudner

A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down. -Robert Benchley

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. -Franklin P. Jones

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons. -James Thurber

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money. -Joe Weinstein

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth! -Anne Tyler

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
-Ben Williams

Here’s some from one of my favorite authors: Anon (I think he runs a couple of self-help groups, too)
If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
If you’d greet everyone the way you greet your dog, you’d have more friends.

Since I've been into memorials lately...here's to all the great pets who've shared my home in the past. I want to go wherever they've gone. I want to pet them again.


Mindy - Schnauzer


Ginger - rescue dog, mutt


Bruce-rescue dog, mutt


Susie, Shih Tzu


Freeda,German Shepherd, Greta, Brittany


I'm still searching for pix of Atticus and Ichabod - wonderful mutts....but that was so long ago they're in black and white ......and cameras were still on tripods.........
edited sun. jan14

found a pic of me and my dog Ichabod...told you it was b&w





And everybody in the know knows this pup.....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




it’s just me, geni


P.S. don't forget to comment. you can leave pix of your dogs....well, maybe

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course as you know you're talking of one of the great loves of my life! I've had a number of really remarkable dogs and like you when I die I want to go where they have gone. I remember watching your dog Freeda (?) diving for rocks in the lake and actually retriving them. I've met a lot if not all of your dogs and they've all been great. I don' think that you've met my newest one but we'll have to remedy that soon.

Naomi

Anonymous said...

As you know, I'm a cat person (4)and have never lived with a dog. I do think my daughter's dog (Shadow)is super smart and very loveable though.

The weather here has been too mild....not like winter at all. It doesn't feel natural. We had one ice storm on New Year's Eve but it only lasted hours.

bye for now, Jean.

Anonymous said...

I love dogs too...and cats, birds, and horses. Life would be lacking an awfully lot without our animal friends. My favorite tribute to a dog was made in the court room in Warrensburg, Missouri. Old Drum had been shot, and his owner sued the man who killed his beloved hunting dog. George Graham Vest was the lawyer and here is a part of his summation to the jury." The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith." (I'll omit quite a bit here)"The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. Gentleman of the Jury, a man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that encounters the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friend s desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens." (omit more)"When the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death." Ann

Anonymous said...

and then there's Jim the Wonder Dog, another famous Missouri dog. Jim lived in Marshall, Missouri. Jim and his master traveled around during the days of the Great Depression bringing wonder and interest to Missourians. "Jim, which woman has a feather in her hat?" and Jim would search the audience, then put his paw gently on the leg of the correct woman. He could be told to find the invention that made Henry Ford rich, and he'd put his paw on a Model T. "Jim, show us the guy with a hole in his sock." and Jim would look and sniff until he'd put his paw on a guy. The person had a hole in his sock, of course! He was tested, examined, and observed by professors from the U. of Mo. School of Vet. Med., and by psychology professors from Washington Univ. in St. Louis, as well as other highly educated people. Noone was able to find out how Jim could do what he did, and his owner never revealed it, but maintained throughout his life that he did not understand how Jim was able to comprehend human language. My parents saw Jim perform and were delighted and mystified. My dad's remark was that Will Rogers and Jim the Wonder Dog were the two that brought humor and interest during those terrible depression days. Oh, I wish I could have known Jim! Ann

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a lot of wonderful quotes. I miss Freda. She was awesome but all our dogs were. Now I have Mattie who is great - always willing to give love no matter what. That is the great thing about a dog.